Poll: Scottish public supports climate concerns
6 July 2010
* 85 per cent believe climate change is happening
* 72 per cent think it is largely caused by human activities
An overwhelming majority of the Scottish public believe that climate change is happening and that human activity is to blame, a new poll revealed today.  The poll by George Street Research found 85 per cent believe climate change is happening and 72 per cent think it is largely caused by human activities.
Just 8 per cent of the public said their views had changed on the science behind climate change in the last year because of the recent "climategate" controversy, where as 19 per cent cited the recent cold winter as a reason for changing their views on the science. WWF said that the latter finding suggests that many people have difficulty in distinguishing 'weather' from 'climate'.
Commenting on the findings, WWF Scotland's Head of Policy, Dr Dan Barlow said:
"This poll once again confirms that the vast majority of the public agrees that climate change is happening and that it is a result of human activity. These findings show that Scotland's politicians were right to back ambitious cuts in Scotland's climate emissions and lead the way in tackling climate change. The results should provide Scottish Ministers with confidence to move swiftly in implementing proposals required to deliver our emissions reductions.
"The findings show that people in Scotland have clearly seen through the unhelpful attempts of a few climate sceptics to discredit global scientific consensus and undermine action to tackle climate change.
"The detailed figures do suggest that many people have difficulty in distinguishing weather from climate. However, a single cold winter for Scotland does not undermine the much more significant long term changes in our climate, globally this year we've already seen some of the warmest monthly temperatures on record."
Notes to Editors
 Edinburgh market research firm George Street Research interviewed 1,126 Scots for The Scotsman newspaper. The poll was carried out between 5 and 21 June
1. Think climate change is happening?
2. Is climate change largely caused by human activities?
3. Has your view of the science behind climate change altered over the past year?
4. OF THOSE WHO ANSWERED 'YES' TO THREE. Did the "climategate" scandal change your view?
5. OF THOSE WHO ANSWERED 'YES' TO THREE. Did the fact that Scotland has just had the second coldest winter on record changed your view?